Carl Calleman was born in Stockholm, Sweden and first became interested in the Maya during a trip to Mexico and Guatemala in 1979. In 1993, he began devoting his life to solving the mysteries of the Mayan Calendar and has since been called upon to lecture and lead courses on the subject as well as published four books.
- What is your view on the end of the Mayan Long Count Calendar and the association that has been made to the end of the world?
- Most of the information I have gathered says the end of the calendar simply represents a rebirth. What sort of rebirth do you see happening for our world?
- What do you think will bring about the end of the world (current or far in the future)?
- What is your opinion on the other current views on the end of the world, such as the biblical rapture or an asteroid collision?
- Are you preparing for the end of the world in any way?
The Mayan Long Count ended last year on October 28, 2011 and it has fundamentally changed the world but not necessarily in the way that anyone expected. I think one of the consequences will be an end to all forms of millenarianism, in other words the idea that things will change just automatically without any intentional participation by people.
The Mayan sources do not actually talk about a rebirth at this time. The only known text about it says that the nine waves will manifest in their full regalia. I do not think rebirth is a good word because it also implies some millenarianism. What has happened since the Long Count came to an end is that the range of possibilities has expended dramatically and I think we have an option to bring a shift in consciousness about, but this will not happen automatically.
It is expected that in a few billion years the sun will run of fuel and the world will come to an end. It is quite possible that it comes to an end earlier than this in the next couple of years for instance from global warming, or for instance some war. Nothing is however scripted about this and it is only indirectly related to the Mayan calendar.
Nothing of this is scripted by the Mayan calendar.
To read more information about Carl Calleman and his views, please visit www.calleman.com.